Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ahh, Cancun ... sun, sand, sea -- and fantasy football!

For the past five days, I was vacationing in Cancun, Mexico with my wonderful girlfriend, Julie. We left early Saturday morning, arrived at our all-inclusive resort around 12:30, and we were at the gorgeous pool (with four swim up bars) by 1 p.m. After a very relaxing day capped off with a wonderful dinner, Sunday morning was here. Where did I want to go first thing after breakfast? To the resort’s sports bar, hoping to catch the Browns game, and to of course get my fantasy football fix.

Clearly sitting indoors all day in Cancun isn’t an option. With the crystal clear Carribean and a resort that looks like it belonged in the movies, I didn’t think it would be appropriate to not take advantage of my surroundings. On the other hand, I couldn’t ignore my team, right?

When we were getting ready for dinner, I couldn’t help myself. I picked up my phone, opened the Web browser (which moved at a glacial pace), and started scanning every box score of every team I had a player starting for Pacman’s Defense Team this week. A process that usually takes me seconds at home was taking what seeemed like an eternity. But once I saw how my team had performed, I didn’t care.

Tom Brady was his usual self, throwing for three touchdowns and running for two more. My stud running back, Joseph Addai, had three touchdowns. And Wes Welker, a person who I had never heard of eight weeks ago, scored his fifth touchdown in his past three games. Despite the fact that I was forced to start a bum named Roydell Williams, and another loser named Randy McMichael, I still managed to beat my Week 8 opponent, to keep my hopes of an undefeated season alive.

Does this seem nuts to anybody else but me? I am in Cancun, at a gorgeous resort, with a beautiful woman, and I’m worried about how seven guys performed on a football field? I can look out of my room at the crystal clear waters of the Carribean Sea, on an 85-degree day, but I’m focused on my BlackBerry to see what kind of numbers some guy named Randy McMichael put up? This is what happens when you play fantasy football. It is absolutely ridiculous how addicting this simple little game can be, and how much better it makes my Sundays.

I know nobody cares about my team going undefeated, but in case anybody does, there is a major speed bump we need to look ahead to. That would be the NFL’s Week 10, and where Tom Brady’s bye week will come. Which means I will have to start Damon Huard at QB, and either Roydell Williams or Anthony Gonzalez in Wes Welker’s spot. As I have said before I basically live and die by Tom Brady, so I am going to need big games from just about everyone else on my team. If I make anymore roster moves between now and Sunday I will be sure to post them. Anyways, here is a look at my entire fantasy roster. Let me know if you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Talk to you guys later this week…

STARTERS

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Wes Welker
RB: Joseph Addai
RB: Jamal Lewis
TE: Jason Witten
K: Stephen Gostkowski
DEF: Indianapolis

BENCH

QB: Damon Huard
WR: Roydell Williams
WR: Anthony Gonzalez
RB: Derrick Ward
TE: Randy McMichael
DEF: Kansas City

No comments: